Please download the letter linked below from the Canadian Border Services that can be used by attendees to apply for a Canadian visa.

Canadian Border Services Letter

Should you require a Visa letter, please register to the conference here and select “yes” when asked if you require a visa letter.  Upon receipt of full payment, MCI Canada will issue a personalized visa letter to support your application.  Proof of a hotel reservation is also a very helpful document to supplement your visa application.  IRMMW does not have a room block for the conference however discounted rates offered to McGill University are available here for your booking needs.   

Please note, this does not automatically guarantee your visa will be approved. Questions regarding visa letters can be addressed to

Canadian Visa Application Instructions

The Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada Special Event Code for this event is: 23IMTW 

Submission of Applications

Please refer to IRCC website to learn about a temporary resident visa (visitor visa) and the process to apply for one. Find out if you need a visa to travel to Canada:

Applicants can apply for temporary resident visa (visitor visa) through one of the two options listed below:

1. IRCC Portal (TReApp) IRCC website

    • To ensure applications are tagged with the Special Event Code listed above, applicants are asked to enter the Special Event Code under “Special Event Information” section of the TReApp; OR

2. IRCC secure network Sign in to your IRCC secure account –

    • To ensure applications are tagged with the Special Event Code above, applicants are asked to select “Other” under “Purpose of Trip” and insert the Special Event Code in the free text box.
    • Applicants applying to attend an event hosted by the government of Canada are exempt from the TRV and biometric fees, they can self identify by applying though this option. When they are asked whether they will be paying fees with their application or whether they meet an exemption. If they choose that they meet an exemption, they will be prompted to upload proof/an explanation of how they meet an exemption when they get to the document upload page. 

Please note that visa applications are considered on a case-by-case basis based on the information presented by the applicant. The onus is on the applicant to show that they meet the requirements for a temporary resident visa. While a special event code has been assigned to your event, it does not offer any advantage to the applicant, in terms of a positive visa outcome. The applicant must meet all the eligibility criteria in order to receive a visa. 

Processing times for visa applications vary depending on the visa office and the time of the year. Participants are encouraged to check processing times to find out how long it takes us to process most applicationsEach application is different and takes a different amount of time to process. We can give you an estimate, based on your application type. If you’ve already applied, learn how to check your application status.

Participants are encouraged to apply at least 12 weeks in advance of their departure date to ensure they receive the visa in time for the start of the event.

Biometrics Expansion

Since the summer of 2018, when you apply for a visitor visa, study or work permit (except U.S. nationals), or permanent residence you need to give your fingerprints and a photo. To facilitate repeat travel to Canada, applicants for a visitor visa, study or work permit will only need to give their biometrics once every 10 years.

For additional information on whether or not you require a biometric, please refer to our fast facts about Biometrics.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Since November 10, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals must have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens, and travelers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents are not eligible to apply for an eTA.

COVID-19 updates

Please refer to IRCC’s website for COVID-19 updates. 

If you have any questions on the importation of goods related to your event please contact the International Events and Conventions Services Program (IECSP) at the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).